Sharp SunVista and colored cells [RE-wrenches]

Nick Nicholas, APS APS at SBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Nov 11 21:11:23 PST 2003

    I was part of a Sunvista Installation at the Sharp Training in early
July.  Unfortunately, the triangular modules and new racking system where
not yet available for testing, but we where able to wire one inverter.  I
was a little disappointed that the inverter did not match very good with
many of the more common modules on the market.  Even the Sharp 165s and 185s
can not utilize the inverter at full output.  The inverter works best with
Sharp's 140 watt rectangular module or the 70 watt triangles.  Three strings
of 11 Sharp 123's works also.
    On another note, wouldn't it be great to see some colored cells in the
states.  I am calling for the de-segregation of blue and gold solar cells.
Can't we all live together in harmony?
    So, what I hear is that these gold modules would cost nearly $4 per watt
early on, and we (solar salespeople) would have to show some demand.  The
largest deterrent is the decreased efficiency (12%!)  That is a big
deterrent, but I believe that the aesthetic value outweighs the
functionality for many customers. (Or, is that just in California?)
    It is certainly valuable to reach new markets.  I believe that a
selection of silicon colors would open new markets.  Therefore, if national
solar dealers would be willing to commit to some purchases, I bet a Sharp
Distributor would be willing to make some investment too.
    Personally, I would love to have one of those modules on display in my
store.  Who else is interested?  Feel free to contact me on or off list.

            Nick Nicholas
            Chief of Engineering
            Alternative Power Systems, Inc.
            135 Colfax Ave. Grass Valley CA 959545