schematic and wiring [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Sun Nov 2 20:40:29 PST 2003

Dan:

For schematics and block diagrams I use Visio.  Version 4.1 Technical is
the highest version I recommend.  Above that, the interface is inferior and
the price goes up.  You should be able to purchase this at a software
liquidator or possibly E-bay for around $40.00, I imagine.  I'd be happy to
share some shapes I have made as well as a primer I have written.  The
learning curve is not so bad on Visio.  Here is a link to a typical drawing
of a non-typical project:

http://www.kcbx.net/~wrmiller/PV_Block.jpg

For any dimensioned, mechanical or architectural drawing, I use
Microstation95.  This is a full featured 3D drawing suite that is a
competitor to Autocad.  The prices is steep, but not as high as AutoCAD.
The price of admission and learning curve require one to make a big
commitment.  There is, however, no substitute for a complete 3D design of a
challenging project.  This will allow you to visualize down to the nut and
bolt level, making accurate feasibility studies and bids much more attainable.

One particularly attractive feature of Microstation is the Solar Study.
You can create a shape (such as a building with roof obstructions and solar
arrays), place it anywhere on earth and examine shadows at any time of the
day, any day of the year.  You can make an animation and watch the shadows
over an entire day.  I don't need to tell anyone here how valuable this can
be.

William Miller

At 01:03 PM 11/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I may have brought this up previously. Does anyone have schematic .gif
files or know of a site that may. I already went to home power. I obtained
some from the recent issue, but not all that I currently need. What
programs are yall using to design your wiring schematics? Does anyone use
smartdraw, if so do you like it?

>Thanks
>

>Dan Whigham

William Miller
Miller Power and Communications
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600     Fax: 805-438-4607
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
http://millerpowerandcomm.com
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP10
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 10
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
                                    H. L. Mencken

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com