Best inverter for water pumping [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Oct 31 15:05:34 PST 2003

Roy -

I think what you are talking about when you say 134 "peak" amps is on a
meter set to 1 millisecond sample - so it is not the maximum RMS current
- but is the maximum current during the peak of the sinewave.  So this
134 amps of peak current should probably be described as 95 amps RMS
instead (134 x 0.707) ... no?

Most peak recording meters used by electricians in the field will record
the peak current in the 100 millisecond range - which means its the
maximum RMS current - not the peak during a single cycle. The ones
engineers like to use (or an oscilloscope) will display the current at
the peak of a single cycle - not the maximum RMS current.

We at OutBack advertise the maximum RMS current our inverters produce -
not the single cycle peak current - because this is what motor
manufacturers provide when you ask them what they require and is what
most installers can measure.

Also - the SW inverter's design requires more maximum current capability
(either in peak or RMS terms) to start a motor because it cannot control
the waveform on the fly to limit the current during motor start-ups.
High frequency switched inverters (like the OutBack FX) are able to
limit the current being delivered to the motor while it is starting -
and so, can start larger motors with less "peak" amps.

So comparing the peak amps of the SW to an OutBack or talking about peak
amps to someone who is used to RMS amps is like comparing candied
oranges to carmelled apples...

Happy Halloween,

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA

Roy Dyngen wrote:
I saw a 4k unit start two air compressors at the same
> time and read the peak current of 134 amps.  That was one inverter.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com