c-40 battery charging [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Fri Oct 10 14:30:22 PDT 2003

Perhaps there is some reason that I am unaware of but the simple act of
connecting strings to a buss bar electrically will not produce any better
current sharing than paralleling strings in the bank.  The only reason I can
see for a current imbalance in a bank is if the interconnects are too small
so cable resistance means the first string takes more juice.  Also dirty
posts creating high resistance joints will have a part to play.

So assuming good cable sizes and clean joints, I see no electrical gain by
using a buss.

In a Telco installation the buss will allow one string to be taken out of
service without disrupting the rest and this is perhaps a valid reason to
connect this way.

If connecting with multiple strings I would certainly suggest using a fuse
or breaker on each string with AGM/gel cells as the previous mails on
thermal runaway have shown the downfalls.  Connecting via a bus will not
overcome this problem.

Cheers,
Bruce Geddes
PowerOn

> I think that with multiple strings the buss bar plan is the way to go to
> avoid having to fuse each string. If there is no reason for any one
> string to take too much current the need for an individual string to
> have a fuse is negated. This is so weird. I used to connect all my
> parallel strings to a common buss until just a few years ago. A big
> battery guru told me it wasn't necessary.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com