SMA and transformer [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Sep 8 18:31:28 PDT 2003

Using a T-240 or a X-240 (which are remarkably similar ;) is an option
for this situation.  The fact that there is high impedance to the
utility grid distribution system is a benefit when it comes to the
operation of an autotransformer.  If you want a diagram of how an
autotransformer works look at the latest OutBack Power Catalog 3rd
edition on page 20 for more information and a diagram. You can download
the catalog as a PDF from www.outbackpower.com if you don't have a copy.

Simply connect the autotransformer "across" the two 120 VAC legs with
the neutral connected to the other two wires of the autotransformer -
just like when balancing a generator.  This maximimzes the efficiency of
the autotransformer and inverter as the only "thru" losses on the
transformer will occur with only 1/2 the power (in an ideal world).  The
idle of the X-240 is about 10 watts - so thats not terrible - especially
when compared to a system not working during part of the day.

Using the balancing configuration may also improve the power quality
during the day and night - it will make the start up of large 120 VAC
loads less noticeable on both 120 vac legs.  It is the impedance that
both causes the problem and that allows the autotransformer to solve it.

You also can use the 120-to-240 configuration as well - but that might
not be as effective.  Its easy to try either however.

The ability of an autransformer to correct the fluctuations will be
dependant upon not only the impedance to the utility distribution system
but also will be impacted by the magnitiude of other local AC loads.  I
think it is worth a try however.

Let us know the results if you try it!

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.