T-240 circuit problem [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Thu Sep 4 21:04:20 PDT 2003

Hi Ray,

When dealing with suspicious water sources, I use a .5 micron filter,
preceded by a sand filter, preceded by a leaf and debris trap. The .5
filter eliminates > 99% of all microbals; that's equal or better than
all muni.systems in the country have to offer.
Many microbes survive floculation and sedimentation and chlorination,
which is the usual treatment method for all surface sources in the U.S.

If this isn't good enough, what is?

You have a far greater chance of getting giardia off a door knob than
from a properly designed domestic storage and delivery system. I've put
in many water systems and never had one test positive for baddies. But
then I always use above ground tanks. Maybe underground tanks are more
prone to contamination? Having run a tank yard and distribution shop for
a number of years, it always seemed that underground poly tanks have
very sketchy "seals"; no rubber, wavy surfaces and flexible walls.
Fiberglass and concrete underground tanks retain their intended shape
and have more reliable mating surfaces. They have the disadvantage of
costing more and being harder to install.

Many of the tanks we built and installed had to meet extremely high
federal govt. standards, which included spraying down the inside
(including roof and lid) with bleach, flushing, and then
super-chlorinating the first tank full of water, which was drained
before use. If you do it this way, and ensure a really water-tight seal
on all at or below grade joints and fixture, you'll never go wrong.

Matt T