Need help selecting an inverter [RE-wrenches]

William Korthof wkorthof at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 25 22:16:26 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
It might be overkill, but there are a wide range of motor controllers
that would help out a lot on the motor start up. Single phase
induction motors take a big surge to start up (on the line),
especially if there is load on them. With a solid grid source, it's
not uncommon for the startup to be 10x the running load. The

Trace inverters do a respectable job on slam-starts while not
letting the lights and other loads dim too much, but they can only
go so far especially with big motors.

The best type of motor controller is basically an inverter-drive
controller...on start up, the power starts more slowly (like 1-2 x
of full load power) with voltage and frequency to the motor set to
gracefully ramp the motor up to full speed instead of slamming it
instantly.

Other [simpler] motor starting circuits with capacitors, relays,
timers, and/or resistors are also worth considering if the problem
motor only causes a mild or occasional problem and cost is a
big consideration. Grainger is a good source; Siemens and Sq D
make a wide variety of off-the-shelf units.

/wk

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com