neighbors sharing PV charge [RE-wrenches]

Tom Rentz sunwindconcepts at juno.com
Wed Aug 20 08:24:22 PDT 2003

I would avoid using two battery banks Eric. My experience has been that the most distant bank will fail at a much faster rate. Even though you have reasonable distances, the resistance in even heavy lines is enough
to cause lagging charge on this bank, and the load will be very heavy on it. I would suggest placing his inverter at the existing battery bank.

Best regards, Tom Rentz, Camano Island

Our office is powered by the sun and the wind! You can produce your own renewable energy!

http://sunwindconcepts.us

Ph: 360-387-5806 Fax:   360-387-2868

--- Rainshadow <solar at rockisland.com> wrote:

Howdy wrenches,

Does anyone have any experience with using a single PV array to charge two somewhat distantly separated battery banks?  We built a system for a weekend cabin up here last year and now the guy's neighbor wants to install his own battery and inverter system but tie in to the existing array for charging.  There is room on the rack to expand to cover both their needs and it would be difficult to site a new array for neighbor #2.  They are good friends and want to share resources.

I thought about using the C-40 in load control mode to float battery #1 and then dump the charging current to another C-40 at battery #2.  But it seems like there might be a better solution.

Its a 48V system and the distances are reasonable, so voltage drop should not be a concern.

Any suggestions?  Thanks,

Eric Youngren

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm