Ground a metal roof? [RE-wrenches]

Joel Davidson joeldavidson at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 27 15:40:15 PDT 2003

Hello Windy,

Horses and cows are very susceptible to electrical shock. People with metal roof
barns for livestock ground the roof with a ground electrode or a ground field
connected to a braided or solid grounding conductor connected to the roof at
several points connected to lightning rods at least at both gable ends. The goal
is to bleed off any charge and neutralize the ground-to-air potential.

In Japan, some PV companies use solar modules with 3-layer Tedlar substrates that
turn the array into a big capacitor and atmospheric current attractor unless the
array is properly earth grounded.

Whenever I visit a new locale, I look at metal roof buildings, communications
sheds and electric utility substation buildings to see what is locally common
practice for lightning grounding. If the opportunity comes up, I ask the locals
about lightning protection and almost always come away with interesting stories.

I'm sure your well-driller customers have great lightning protection (and
destruction) stories.

Best regards,
Joel Davidson

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com