computers can make arrays look sharp (was 'looks Sharp, man...) [RE-wrench

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Jul 25 14:53:27 PDT 2003

Todd,

Roger that.

I suspect that a lot of that shredded metal is aluminum shavings from the
lock washer bite. Those of us who have worked with metric fasteners,
specifically DIN (German) threaded, might have noticed that these fasteners
are made with a pitch and twist which allows their use without lock washers.
They plain don't come apart unless you take a wrench to them (this has been
my experience with virtually all European and Japanese vehicles I've worked
on too).

On the other side of the coin, I have had to re-tighten plenty of array
fasteners with SAE course and fine threads with lock washers in place. I
also recently had the negative experience of being unable to remove a nut
from a bolt (1/2" SS supplied by Unirac) which was never installed, but had
been in the weather for a couple of months. (tall grass!) The stainless was
of such low quality and the threads were so crappy it just froze on it's
own.

I think it would be plenty nice to be able to assemble those pesky racks
without having to use lock washers; they're just one more little things to
lose in the weeds or roll off the roof.

Matt T