Induction motor on Trace DR series [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Wed Jul 2 10:43:40 PDT 2003

>The motor's output speed is reduced at the pump's input shaft via v-belt
>pulleys, and since the pump doesn't have to start against any pressure
>(unlike, say, an air compressor), I'm hoping for the best.
>
>Anyone interested in the results?
>
>-Sharkey

Sharkey,

For belt-driven applications, it's usually easy to replace an AC
motor with a DC motor. Often, the only remaining issue is on/off
switching for which a relay may need to be added.

DC motors are generally made with efficiency in mind, unlike most
small AC motors. Typical overall saving is 50% due to better motor
efficiency and elimination of inverter loss.

You can use a DC motor of a lower HP rating than the original AC --
generally down to 50%. This is because of a difference in rating
methods.

I can recommend sources for DC motors when such applications come up.
Contact me off-list.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com