Nursery Root Heating System [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 10:39:44 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Mo,

Root heating (and cooling) systems are easily integrated into a
solar/gas/wood/dump load hot water heating (or cooling) system simply
by pulling a thermostated loop off of a storage tank like any other
radiant heating (or cooling)  system.  We've done them with just
solar thermal and also multiple source systems using wood stove
loops, instantaneous gas hot water heaters, wind load dumps, or PV
charge regulation heating dump loads.  We first used PVC (not so good
for plants)  but now use PEX.

Commercial greenhouses like root zone heating not only because it
saves vast amounts of energy but also keeps condensation down which
is a real problem in some commercial crops when watering needs cause
so much condensation on the inside of the plastic glazing as to cut
out alot of light.

Check out:

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/rootzone.html
http://ohioline.osu.edu/aex-fact/0801.html

related:
http://www.niagrow.com/cooling.html
http://www.spnwsupply.com/projectShowcase.html

Hope that helps!

Jeff C.

>Hi All,
>
>I have a prospect (commercial nursery) who is interested in both PV and an
>alternative source for heating their greenhouses.  They want roof level
>heating and this being Southern California, only at night.  Right now, they
>use a gas fired heater to heat water which is recirc'ed under all of the
>seedlings.  There are at least a dozen large green houses that are impacted.
>Any suggestions?  Their objective is to reduce their dependence on SDGE and
>save money.
>
>Thanks,
>Mo
>--
>Mo Rousso
>President
>HelioPower
>Renewable Energy Systems
>Remote Power Solutions
>mrousso at heliopower.com
>www.heliopower.com
>760.451.9374
>

>--
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village

877-SOLARVillage
PO Box 115
Boonville, CA 95415

61 Baker Rd