Torque for Sunny Boy screws [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Thu May 29 09:54:12 PDT 2003

Wrenches:

I think the error occurred in translation from N m to inch lbs.
The "why" is not all that important but we have sent the information
back to SMA DE and they are changing it for the next revision of the
manual.

Most importantly DO NOT try to torque the dc input and ac output
terminals to 35 inch lbs or they will break. 12 to 15 inch lbs seems to
be about right but I am checking with Germany to get the manufacturer's
specs for the terminal blocks.  I'll do another post when I get the
straight poop.

On the dc side it is not so critical since you have 2 built in spares.
One thing to note: If you think one snapped on the dc side go ahead and
move the dc wire over to another block.  If it snapped you will probably
have to cut the wire flush at the block and re strip it to insert it
into the next position.  I suggest this because we have seen a couple
inverters where the screws are snapped and the connection failed to
heating. I don't think this is a significant issue but better to take a
couple extra minutes while you are standing there "just in case".

On the ac side there are no spares so if you snap one neither you nor I
will be happy.  So much hassle for such a stupid little error. Arrrgh!!

If you have any questions or if I may be of any further assistance,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

SMA America, Inc.