Where is Ground Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher jfisher at nahbrc.org
Thu May 29 06:03:31 PDT 2003

Wrenches,

I know that NO sheet metal screw is allowed as a grounded method article
250.8 (NEC 2002).
The code article 250.126 (2002 NEC) shows that the screw needs to be green.
I've had inspectors tell me they've failed jobs (not solar) when they found
field colored screws. Usually this would mean that you've pissed them off in
other ways!

This all said, I still think that grounding lay lugs attached with stainless
self-tapping screws to the AL frame of modules (and racks) is much more
effective than not installing a ground wire because you can't get to the
grounding point and you can't attach a #6 wire to it anyway.

Another technique I've used is drilling a small hole where I want the
grounding point, then simply using a traditional self-tapping GREEN
grounding screw to attach a lug. This does not address the issue of drilling
the module frame but so far, I've heard (only verbally) that this is not a
problem from several module suppliers.

Cheers,

Jason Fisher

Aurora Energy