Penetration free standing seam clamps [RE-wrenches]

Gary Higbee gary at windstreamsolar.com
Wed May 28 17:46:10 PDT 2003

Nick and Wrenches,

We used the S-5 clamps on a 5.2kW system on the Oregon Coast. The system is
comprised of 140 "active" modules, and some smaller "dummy" modules used for
aesthetics. We used a LOT of the clamps, which are on the pricey side, as
you likely know. The system utilized has worked well, through some intense
winds, which are a regular occurrence on the coast.

As I recall you are supposed to torque the clamps to a specified number, and
the re-tighten a bit later. Maybe this relates to the copper standing-seam
roof we attached to, though.

You can find pictures and read about the specifics at www.oceansolar.com.
Look under "What We've Learned/Solar Electric." If you'd like an up-close
perspective let me know and I'll email you a picture.

Regards,

Gary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Gary Higbee  (gary at windstreamsolar.com)
                     (541 )607-1818 (Eugene)
                        (541) 954-3881 (Cell)
Solar, wind, and hydro site analysis and system design
    Components dealer and installation assistance
 ~ WindStream Solar (www.windstreamsolar.com) ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> > Greetings Wrenches,
> >   I'm quoting an installation to take place this fall and the
> > owners/architects want to utilize the S-5 clamps available at
> > lmcurbs.com. This system is new to me and I'm wondering if they can
> > be adapted to accommodate the Unirac Solarmount rails. Is it possible
> > to run the rails parallel to the seams with this system? It seems
> > like a great system to avoid roof penetrations but also seems like a
> > lot of extra drag on the roofing panels. Anyone have any hands on
> > experience with this method?
> >
> >    As always, thanks for any helpful insights any of you may have.
> > Have a great day.
> >
> >   Nick A Lucchese

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com