Integrity Vs. Making a living [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, DragonSun Consulting ezra at lasqueti.net
Mon May 26 12:28:13 PDT 2003

Hello all,

Been chewing on this subject for the weekend before chiming in.  This
subject has long affected me both in my life as a vendor/installer and
then later when working for a manufacturer. I'm wading in to this string
with my "Chairperson of NABCEP" hat on. I think that the VOLUNTARY PV
Installer Certification which is being brought forth by NABCEP will
offer a clear distinction between qualified professionals who practice
the art and science of PV installation (practioners) and those who are
of the "tail-light warranty" persuasion.  No, I don't think this will
magically make the fly-by-nights fly, but I do think it will add one
more tool to the professional's "why me" tool box.

I'm pleased to say that the process of arriving at the NABCEP PV
Installer Certification has been achieved largely by consensus around a
board table which includes such diverse participants as Wrenches, PV
Manufacturers, BOS Manufacturers, IBEW, NECA, DOE, Sandia, NREL, IREC,
Community colleges, SEIA and more. That's a lot of divergent views and
sets of "interests and agendas" to bring together. Common goals were
quickly identified and pursued. Everyone wants to see the PV industry
grow and mature. We agree that a trained, professional, accountable and
certified installer base is a key step towards that goal. There was
often lively debate and in the end we arrived at seven different ways
that a candidate can document their particular combination of training
and professional experience .

For more information about NABCEP visit www.NABCEP.org.  Please feel
free to give me a call or drop me an email if I can be of assistance
with respect to NABCEP.

Regards,

Ezra Auerbach
Chairperson NABCEP