Isolating material [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Thu May 22 02:51:01 PDT 2003

Bruce,
 I use nylon washers between these dissimilar metals. You will get a
dialectric effect otherwise. I have seen some pretty extreme corrosion
as a result of long term bonding of dis-similar metals, over the years.
The nylon washers don't break down, but they do get brittle in time,
which is still OK if there is no movement. Another thing you can try are
the neoprene washers in any hardware store plumbing dept. They are
thicker, so you have to use longer bolts. I have found some 1 inch
diameter, thin felt-type washers which work well with my big fender
washers, but that was here in England, and I have never found these
anywhere else.
 Remember to install a grounding strap between these after you have
isolated them with all your dielectric washers.
Robert Warren

Bruce Gardiner wrote:

> Wrenches,
> I will be bolting Professional Solar aluminum rails to galvanized
> Unistrut and would like to get recommendations on a suitable isolating
> material.  Someone has suggested a thin sheet of polyurethane (1/4" is
> thinnest) or ABS (1/8" available). What do other wrenches use or
> recommend?
> It seems impossible to avoid dissimilar metals touching at all points -
> I will have stainless bolts going into regular steel channel nuts and
> stainless washers sitting on aluminum rails -where does one draw the
> line? Thanks.
> Bruce Gardiner
> www.acmesolar.com

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com