Parking lot array mounting [RE-wrenches]

mlafferty at universalenergies.com mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Wed May 21 07:32:12 PDT 2003

Wow!  Big topic!  (I know, ya'll hoped I'd disappeared by now...Sorry to
disappoint you...)

Jeff Y requests:  (Regarding Cal-Expo Structure)

I was looking for a non-tracking version of this project's mounting
structure.

I am trying to find a source who could provide a similar galv. steel "T"
shaped frame structure over a parking lot for my project, which could be
in the 100 kW range.  I was hoping for a "standard" type structural
design and do not want to "re-invent the wheel."  In other words, the
spacing for parked cars is fairly standard, and we can adjust module
size and quantity per array span to fit any existing standard frame
dimensions.

Anybody know a structural firm that has experience in this type of frame
design?

Jeff:

I remember the three days you spent here....Quite well, in fact.  Thank
you for your participation!  I hope you enjoyed your lunch at Costa Azul
:-)

Unfortunately, there isn't a "standardized" design for the "T" structure
used at Cal-Expo, to my knowledge.  Each of the three "T" Structures
used in the UPG/Kyocera installations was individually designed &
engineered, often using more than one structural engineer.  The intent
was to find a suitable design that could be "standardized" for future
installations.  Cal-Expo was the last of its kind.

I thought I might have some autocad drawings of the structure in my PC,
but they are limited to specific components.  Due to the tracking, there
are hundreds of different pieces in that structure, and gobs of
concrete!

Contact me off-list if you want me to put you in touch with the drawings
. . .

Moving forward: Recent experience has shown that local steel erectors
can often handle the design and installation of non-trackers in-house.
We have found that they also get the job done in reasonable time.

Hold onto your hat when you ask for a price!

>From Sunny Sacramento,

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com