pv and thermal [RE-wrenches]

matthew tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Apr 30 10:02:04 PDT 2003

Keith,

I personally think that a well engineered and fairly priced thermal system
can be more cost-effective than most PV systems are. This is particularly
true if the installation has propane or electric water heating to begin with
and it's a closed-loop system with no freezing and/or hard water deposit
problems to contend with.

Heating water with solar energy is a very appropriate, low-tech and low-cost
way to help save energy costs, fight global warming and allow for some
degree of energy independence (if it's a PV powered system like the
Heliodyne). It is also more difficult to install (like in heavy and bulky)
and definitely not as sexy as a nice big grid inter-tie system.

It's too bad that California rebates for thermal systems are such a joke. It
just goes to show what a difference good lobbying can make.

What ever happened to mandatory solar thermal for new construction? Did gas
and electricity get cheaper and more abundant in the last 25 years? It seems
to me that there should be greater cooperation and association between the
two disciplines.

Matt T