More on Grounding...and Concrete [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Fri Apr 25 11:47:46 PDT 2003

I don't know all of you except through this list but I want to say that I
appreciate everybody.  This is such a great list, even cross-compared to
other industry groups.  So now we have some solid history and current code
and an alternative on this subject.  Well done!

Ignoring all the structural integrity issues for the moment between seepage
freeze, actual strikes, etc affecting the rebar within the concrete, here's
what has happened to me twice but only involving "retrofitted" concrete
grounds on residential pads.  Inspector could not determine if Ufer
grounding was done, and if he could, if it was done at proper length/depth
in the pad or not, and also, if it's just tied to the water pipe, how far
that pipe travels  before it's PVC or something else, and therefore you
still have to punch in the 8ft. copper rod.

Does anybody know what happens with residential construction grounding
systems generally?

Peter D