Where is Ground Clamps [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Mon Apr 21 15:54:20 PDT 2003

Bob-O,

Don't be so quick to discount internal shorts. I just saw one on a 20 kW
array a few weeks ago. It caused the module glass to shatter. Energized
frames used to be more common with modules back in the 1980's in high
voltage systems. Still can happen though. Now that we have USE-2 cable
running all over the place it is much more likely. How about the wires
rubbing on the roof surface when not supported properly--happens all the
time. Now you have a conductor with the jacket abraded and little Jimmy
grabs it and the frames at the same time--bummer dude.

Having a connection of a current carrying conductor to a module frame is
always a hazard whether the frame is grounded or ungrounded. It is actually
more of a hazard to NOT ground the frames because a potential difference
exists between the frame and ground so little Jimmy becomes the conducting
path when he touches anything grounded (conduit) and then you have to make
funeral arrangements and it's a big bother. Effectively grounding the module
frames allows your ground fault detection circuit to kick in and detect the
problem before it becomes a fire hazard and hopefully before the ground
connection degrades to high resistance.

Bill.