DC Wiring in Building (Was 600VDC switches) [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Wed Apr 16 11:25:44 PDT 2003

Robert,

I find your thought processes to be very clear and follow good logic. There
is no real good way to comply with running conductors through a building
right now.

That being said, it was never the intention of Technical Review Committee
that oversaw the revisions to 690 for this to be the case. When the code was
written in 1980, the early developers thought that a large portion of
systems would be integrated into roof--so the conductors would already be in
the building envelope. A somewhat malicious utility in the Northeast got the
language from 230 part F placed directly in 690. We are trying to get this
reversed in the 2005 code and different requirments adopted (either
non-readily accessible disconnect or metal pipe as options), but it will be
an uphill battle.

For now--do a good job of hiding the pipe on the outside of the building or
work with your inspector to develop a compromise.

Bill.