NiCad Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 31 12:18:58 PST 2003

John,

My understanding of NiCd's is that they are not affected by staying less
than fully charged like Pb acid batteries. Also, that they will charge
up to about 90% of full at regular PV system voltage ie: 15 volts or 1.5
v/cell with 10 cells. So my assumption is, without direct experience,
that you just don't use the top 10% of the battery's capacity. I have
also read that if held at a lower voltage, 1.5v/cell, given enough time
it will eventually fully charge the battery. I've specified a few NiCd
battery banks to northerly climes and have not had any negative feedback
with this method, for what it's worth. It's been a number of years since
these batteries went in and there was no way to equalize them either.
Actually they were large enough that after 5 years they might be just
about discharged for the first time. The system had about 3 years
battery autonomy, they are being used for seasonal storage (smalll
load). I wish I could do that!

The problem with going to 9 cells in a 12 volt system is that the
voltage can drop too low for the loads, 1.2 x 9 = 10.8v running voltage.

Brad

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind wrote:
> Jay,
>     I just learned about using 19 instead of 20 but the DR manual says 19 is
>
> OK  but this is a 12 V system with two strings of 10 and they say not to
> go
> to 9.  Anyone had luck sawing these batteries apart?  Looks like nicads
> and
> 12V systems are not compatible unless someone else has some ideas.  This
>
> system was set up with golf cart batteries originally and the owner took
> it
> upon herself to buy some used Nicads to get longer life.  Maybe I should
>
> trade with her my 8 Trojan L16's for her 20 nicads and keep the 20th one
> for
> a doorstop.
>
> Jeff W., this may be one of your customers as she lives only a few miles
> from
> you.  I got involved as she is a dear friend of one of my new employees
> and I
> had a repair to do nearby (another friend).
>
> John
> CVSolar
>
> --

Brad Bassett