Let's learn (was None of this is documented )(was Uplift Wind Loading Values) [R

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Tue Mar 25 09:27:49 PST 2003

Joel,

This is not a personal attack against you or your work. The point was made
that if you do your homework, things will work out properly. Unfortunately,
the real world doesn't always work that way, and we find out that even with
the best minds involved, bad things can happen.

I offer you the latest Space Shuttle mishap. Hindsight is 20:20, but the
crew is dead and nothing can bring them back. People may point fingers, but
that won't bring them back either.

The fact that problems at SMUD are not officially documented should come as
no surprise. The concern that you raise about foes of solar is valid and
real. So how do we discuss problems without getting defensive with each
other as wrenches withing the industry.

You say that I am knowledgeable and sincere--then you must believe that I
tell the truth as well. These are things that I have seen with my own
eyes--I would be lying if I said otherwise. The issue is: Here is a method
of roof mounting that has flaws--here are the flaws--here is how to solve
the problem so it does not cause a problem.

You have to agree that this type of discourse is healthy in the right
context. We definitely do not want to air our dirty laundry to our foes, but
if we can't speak about them in this forum, how do we learn?

Bill.