finding those rafters... [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Tue Mar 25 05:34:30 PST 2003

IF the attic is accessible from the inside, or if it is new construction and
they call me early enough, I prefer to run 6" solid blocking between the
trusses. As long as I know how far down, or up, the roof I am going to
install the PV or thermal panels,  this gives me a lot bigger target to hit
later then a 1 1/2" truss. And again, if I have access, I through bolt
instead of lags. For the blocking I use 2 pieces of Versa Rim or better yet
MicroLam, well nailed into the trusses. As the nails securing the blocking
are in shear it is very strong. I have also fabbed steel 2" pipe welded to a
flang, bolted to solid blocking,that goes up through the roofing using a
standard roof jack. This gets me out of the attic and needs no caulk. I've
used this for large thermal panel installs, and just cap the pipe off until
needed. Of course its also a good way to get the supply and return lines in
and out. If installed during construction and never used due to a change in
plans they just look like a plumbing stack.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar

on 3/24/03 8:01 PM, Todd Cory, Mt. Shasta Energy Services at

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com

This email was sent to: michael_welch at sbcglobal.net