Uplift Wind Loading Values [RE-wrenches]

ASAP POWER! asap at podnine.com
Wed Mar 19 13:38:46 PST 2003

Thanks all,
Yes, Uni-Rac also has a 2 page doc available for the asking called Footing
Specifications.xls (in a .pdf format).  Forgot I had that in a folder here.
It charts popular modules from 2001 with live and dead FOOTING loading at
three high wind speeds and specifies number of feet required per length of
rail (per number of modules of that type).  The document that Bill points to
has the actual formula involved though.  Pro Solar for Tile-trac has not
responded yet and didn't see anything specific to this at their sites.

PD

*******
Jeff and Pat,

If you have a copy of my course manual it shows that conservative estimates
of wind loading (for exposure on typical roofs) is 25lb./sq.ft. for 85mph
and about 55lb./sq.ft. for 120mph wind speeds. This agrees with Uni-Rac's
code compliance document. I also show a table of withdraw loads for
different types of wood. If you follow either Uni-Rac's or Pro Solar's
guidelines you will be just fine. If you are designing your own, use my
method or look at Uni-Rac's document (its 1.73 MB so if it might take a
little to download it if you have a slow connection, but it is well worth
it).

The URL is:

http://www.unirac.com/pdfs/tb103.pdf

Bill.
*********

I've run into this a lot actually, it can be very frustrating as the plan
checkers are starting to get outside of their jurisdiction. They should only
be concerned with attachment to the structure. From that attachment point on
up it should not be part of the review. They never require this information
for other roof mounted equipment like HVAC. Sure, they want to know how it
is attached, but when it comes to how are those feet attached to the unit
and how is the unit's chassis attached to the main frame/rails it is not
their responsibility. However, they seem to want to go to that level with
our mounts and inter-mount and PV attachment details with stamped calcs!

The magic number for UBC is 13#/sq.ft. more efficient lift than some
airplane wings!! I guess it's not just gravity it's the law! In any case the
inspectors and plan checkers should only be looking at lags/anchors and
structural members as you stated.

Arruuggg! Good luck.
-jeff

- - - -