Outback no load draw [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Tue Mar 11 12:58:42 PST 2003

No, it's not correct. No load draw is sleep or search mode, which is claimed
by Outback to be 3 watts. I haven't tested the beta unit we have in a local
home, but have observed nothing to dispute this.
Idle current is claimed by Outback to be "under 20 watts". Our beta unit
with the low-idle upgrade, now standard, measured at 15 or 16W. That will
occur only if search is defeated, or will be added to small operating loads,
the same as with any inverter.
The idle current multiplies with stacked inverters, yes, but only if the
inverters are "awake". I haven't yet tested or verified this, but I have
been talking with Outback techs on a two- or three-stacked set design. I am
told that the inverters wake up progressively, as called for by load demand.
With the X-240 autoformer, this load demand can be either series or
parallel. The X-240 adds a 12W continuous idle load, however, when used in
this manner.
Allan at Pos Energy