Pump Novice [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:38:12 PST 2003

William,
  The dry light may be on because the pump was never sized corectly for
the incoming flow rate of the aquifer. I have often seen people draw out
water faster than their well can recharge. It is also slightly possible
that the water table fluctuates, which happens sometimes if a neighber
too close by has a huge agricultural irrigation pump sucking up the
groundwater, or more even just that it was really a perched water table
(like a very small underground pool without a continual recharging
source), if the pump wasn't installed deep enough into the real aquifer.
I have seen all kinds of water problems in my years in well drilling and
pump repair, some 25 years ago.
  But as it sounds like they are out of water for 3 days or more, then
it is more likely as Windy says. A mudded up foot valve screen can
starve a pump dry. Since it isn't lifting water, the motor isn't working
as hard, so the current draw is lower. It is wonderful to have sensitive
little electronic circuits to tell you this as the difference can be too
small to detect with a clamp-on meter.
Robert Warren

> William
>
> The light labeled "Dry?" means that the current draw is lower than
> normal, indicating that it may be running dry. The controller can't
> really tell if it's that or a mechanical fault where motor is just
> spinning, or if the pipe came off the pump so there's no pressure
> load, hence the "?".
>
> The power lights indicate that it voltage is being applied to the
> pump cable (as you confirmed) so the power system appears to be OK.
> There is some fault down below.
>
> The instruction manual has a good troubleshooting guide.
>
> I suggest you call our tech support for assistance at 888 396-6611.
>
> Windy
>

>Friends:

>Excuse my ignorance, but I've had little opportunity to work on DC pump
>systems:

>I have a client for whom I installed an off grid system. They also have
>a DC pumping system installed by the ranch foreman. I got a call from
>the client-- no water since Thursday. The family member that handles
>technical matters on the ranch is out of the country for a month.

>I went by with the family while on a drive Sunday. While the kids played
>with the bunnies, I checked the system. The 4 SP75s were putting 78
>volts into the controller. There was 64 volts on the wire to the well
>pump. I assumed the pump may be bad or clogged?

> The pump is a Sunrise 5230 SR and the controller is a 5200SP. The power
> LEDS were all illuminated. I tried the float bypass, no change. What is
> the illuminated "Dry?" LED mean?
------

What will we do if there is another fuel shortage?
Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com