Satellite Internet [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Wed Feb 19 14:10:12 PST 2003

Allen,

I use Direcway but I got it from Earthlink, since I was already an Earthlink
customer (they lease Direcway bandwidth) and I think their customer support
is better than Direcway's.  However, if you want to do a vpn you have to go
to Direcway and pay extra.  It can be done but it entails a higher monthly
charge though I think the installation fee is the same.

Also, the modems they use consume somewhere around 35 to 45 watts (which is
outrageous) so that is a consideration on an off-grid system.  I run mine
through a laptop and turn the whole thing off most nights, with no problems.
The connection always comes up when the computer boots up.  I also am able
to network easily, my wife is connected to the internet through my wireless
network with her iMac with no problems.  However, I'd recommend at least
Win2k (it has to be windows, the satellite has no Mac software) or WinXP as
your operating systems and make sure both are "clean" installations, i.e.
not upgrades from 98, 98se or WinMe.

The data transfer is extremely asynchronous to minimize bandwidth usage.
I've seen download speeds of as much as 4 megabits (500 kilobytes) and it
can vary greatly from a low of 300, but upload speeds of rarely over 25
megabit.  Basically these systems are designed to replicate the phone
line/satellite systems of the past to allow you to get rid of the expense of
the extra line.  I'm so remote that my costs for a single phone line and a
dial-up ISP are within $2 of the monthly cost of satellite so it was a
no-brainer (outside of the installation costs, which I was willing to pay).

I run my system from my sw4024 and have had absolutely no problems with it.
I'm sold on the satellite in the absence of any other broadband connection
and they are viable for off-grid systems.

Tom Elliot