SW5548 AND DIMMERS [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu Feb 13 09:46:02 PST 2003

Keith Wrote:
The situation occurred last week where the incandescent
dimmers and some of the low voltage dimmers started oscillating. They
would act like disco lights.

Greetings Keith,

While I am not familiar with these dimmers, I've had situations where
some loads suddenly start experiencing problems with an SW's output.  In
some cases this is the result of the loss of one of the three
stages/transformers that the SW uses to achieve a sine wave.  The
inverter might act fairly normal, but what you end up with is more of a
modified square wave output, which many more devices are sensitive to.

This may not be what is happening in your case but a pretty easy check
is to use a Digital meter that is NOT a true RMS meter to measure
voltage on the SW.  If you have this problem, the inverter voltage will
read quite low (80-90vac?) while a true RMS meter will typically show a
more normal voltage on the same inverter.

Kurt Nelson