Deka vs. Absolyte Batteries [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 10 20:02:16 PST 2003

Jeff,

I'll reply again since I don't really remember what I said last time.
Both the Unigy and Absolyte may have positive plate growth problems,
especially with extended low charge episodes, I know I've seen it first
hand with the Absolytes. The positive plate growth problem is not as bad
if the batteies are brought back to full charge pretty often (weekly?).

Deka makes a battery called the Dominator which is a gel cell made for
fork lift use. That is a cycling application if there ever was one. Most
of the 2 v flooded cell batteries are made for forklift use. You may
find that the fork lift batteries from Deka have a different
distribution channel than the Unigy batteries.

Don't confuse commercial batteries with industrial batteries. Industrial
batteries should give double the life of commercial batteries, even good
ones. Concorde batteries are of the commerical type, though they may be
very good commercial batteries. Note that their 2 v batteries are still
the same commerical battery plates, just rearranged.

Brad

Jeff Yago wrote:
> Several weeks ago I had a post explaining that we were ready to order
> a replacement battery bank for a total off grid solar home (no
> generator and no grid) having a 4.8 kW array.

Brad Bassett
Schott Applied Power
Tumwater, WA office
bsbassett at earthlink.net