C40's and SW's [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Tue Feb 4 08:45:06 PST 2003

Hey Graham,

Those numbers will certainly work.  I usually like upping the bulk but
leaving the floats lower (where you have them is fine IMHO).  The C40
should only be regulating during power outages and the Trace should only
bulk following such an event, and it is usually good to hit some higher
voltages if the battery saw some discharged during an outage.

If you are in a cold environment, make sure both the CC and the inverter
are temperature compensated and if no TC on the CC, then none of the
Trace (and keep the battery temp constant?).  I'd raise the bulks to 60
for the CC and 59 for the Trace, leaving the floats where you have them.
You'd want to lower this if you have frequent shorter power outages.  If
power outages are rare, I tell my clients with Grid-tied SWs to
occasionally cycle power on AC1 to deliberately initiate a bulk charge
from the Trace, although I usually lower the absorption to one hour from
the default of two.

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on this subject, and what
about the settings for similar systems with MPPT CCs?  What's the best
settings to maximize PPT?

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions