brain teaser, to much power [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Dec 16 12:06:51 PST 2003

Hey Darryl,

You have several options - and probably much of the controls already
there to handle it.

A simple option is to use the auxiliary control ability of the
inverter/charger to control the loads.  If you have an SW series, there
are three AUX RELAYs which can be wired up to AC or DC loads.  These
only handle 5 amps each so be careful to not overload them - or add
larger relays controlled by the smaller ones - also you need to add a
fuse or breaker in series.

If you have an OutBack inverter/charger or MX60 controller - then the
built-in AUX OUTPUT control can be wired to a 12vdc coil relay or
contactor to control an AC or DC load - much like the SW's AUX RELAY.
Again - be sure to install overcurrent protection.

Another option is to use a C35/C40/C60 as a diversion controller to send
excess power to a resistive load.  This is a great way to use these
older controllers when a system is upgraded with a newer MPPT
controller.

Another option is to use a standalone voltage controlled relay - such as
the simple switch or one from Atkinson or others.

Using DC voltage only as the criteria for diversion can be an issue
since the setpoints for the charge control and the inverter are usually
temp comp'd and the diversion system is not (except with the OutBack
inverter and MX60 system).  You might need to change the settings
seasonally to ensure best operation.

Be careful selecting the DC load - it needs to have the correct
resistance to work properly - but I have used AC waterheater elements
many times with DC power with success.  I have also used freeze
protection heat tape to warm up battery boxes - works well.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Darryl Thayer wrote:

> Hi to all
> This is a real question.
> In my collection of standalone customers, I have to
> much power and not enough power.
> Today it is -10 F and Sun is shining, and wind is 20
> to 35 mph.  My customers batteries are full, they are
> not using anywhere near what they could.  How can I
> configure a dump load so on days like this I put power
> into things like crankcase heater, battery warmer,
> even house hold hot water?
> Daryl

> http://photos.yahoo.com/

Christopher Freitas