Gerard Roofing Systems [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Dec 2 08:34:06 PST 2003

Gator,

I have installed solar on these types of metal tile roofs.  If I cant
get flashable mounts installed to the decking before the roof goes on I
won't touch it.  There is no way to tighten down mounts into rafters
later without compressing and buckling the tiles.  Walking on these tile
is difficult because you need to stay on the lower edge of each tile
where the 1"x1" under frame is located.  A piece of plywood covered with
thick carpet (keeps it from slipping) can be helpful if the slope is not
too steep.  These roofs can get very hot in the sun, buckle when walked
on and are super noisy when it hails.  They do look nice and last for
decades.  I completely avoid working on existing metal tile and
Cal-Shake roofs.  If the roof has already been applied my advice would
be to have the roofer remove the roof for access to install mounts.  I
have seen plastic pool panels laid flat on these types of roofs, make
sure your fasteners go into the 1x1's which should keep the roof from
buckling.  Just remembered, about 12 years ago I glued a solar-roll pool
heating system onto a metal tile roof with SunBond adhesive, system is
still working well.

Graham