Tubular towers and PV mounting [RE-wrenches]

Hugh Piggott hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 15:04:48 PST 2003

<x-flowed>
At 1:02 AM -0500 16/11/03, Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design wrote:
>With two loads pushing from the side you can get some complicated
>resonance action.

If the PV array is located at a guy attachment level then the side
array will not introduce vibration into the structure either.  All
that remains is the mass of the array and its effect on tower
resonance.  Once again, if the array is at a guy level then it is
hard to see that extra mass at this nodal point would have any
significant effect.

>- don't guess - hire a structural engineer to stamp this one!

I would say it depends on the customer.  It's an extra expense, and
in my opinion hardly justified.  But some jobs have plenty of money
for that sort of stuff.  It's known as covering your @&5#.

If your wind turbine is "maxing out" the tower, then later on someone
will be looking for an excuse for failures, but the mistake was to
use a turbine that behaves like that to begin with.

--
Hugh

in Edinburgh
http://www.scoraigwind.co.uk/