Sharp SunVista and new panels [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dmpratt at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 11 18:47:26 PST 2003

I have not personally been hands-on with a SunVista install yet.
However, our LA branch installed a couple last month, so I got to rub up
against some first-hand experience. There were some glitches with
packaging and shipping. Both had power boards broken by ...ahem...
shipping and handling techniques that were inconceivable to the Japanese
engineers. This hasn't happened in the homeland ever in two years of
production. (Even the truck drivers in Japan are polite, gentle, and
careful? THAT'S inconceivable to me!) Sharp responded quickly, and
Arthur Rudin himself went out to the sites to install new boards. (It's
*very* quick and easy to replace power boards in this inverter.) This
will not be an ongoing problem, and I doubt if anyone else in the US
will ever experience it. Construction and packaging are both being
upgraded.

  Installation is real easy. There's a lightweight frame that attaches
to the wall first, then the inverter body pops in. Hookup is easy.
Startup is as simple as pushing the "on" button. No fiddling around with
clearing ground faults.

  From my ex-mechanic's viewpoint, it's kinda like comparing a late 90's
Camry with an 80's Mercedes diesel. The Camry you just intuitively
understand. All the controls are where you expect them, everything
works, it hardly ever breaks...it just does it's job and you never even
think about it. The Mercedes takes a bit more study, and demands more of
your attention, but goes just as far in the long run. Funny how national
stereotypes play out in heavily engineered products.

Cheers,
Doug Pratt
Real Goods Technical Editor