Anti-solar attitudes (was Calif. fires) [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sun Nov 9 16:18:45 PST 2003

Joel and Matt,

Isn't it amazing that there actually IS a segment of society that is
anti-solar, wind, etc.? I recently attended a county supervisor's meeting
that featured a very vocal opposition to the installation of a Bergey Excel
"10" kW in an agriculturally zoned area. The opposition was plainly as NIMBY
as it gets - no valid arguments against, they just plain didn't want to see
a windturbine on the offending property.

This group had approached me (as a knowledgeable wind guy) to write an
opinion expressing the view that there wasn't sufficient wind resource in
the area to warrant the installation of a turbine. They offered to pay me to
do this. I actually had to make a decision to back the project, in spite of
a marginal wind regime, because of the very real possibility that denying it
would or could have created a negative precedent for future similar
installations in the area.

The issue for the NIMBYs wasn't the performance of the machine at all; it
was purely their perception that it would somehow detract from the "pristine
rural character of the area" (which it isn't) just by being there. I have
encountered similar attitudes toward PV from people who feel the same as the
ones opposed to windturbines; they just don't like the looks of the
technology. The combination of suspicious utility people and ignorant NIMBYs
can be one hell of an obstacle for our businesses to deal with.

None of this has anything at all to do with burned-out neighborhoods but it
has a lot to do with a certain element or elements that might monitor this
list looking for good negative ammunition for possible use against projects
or equipment, and I can readily see why Matt L would warn against giving the
wrong impression or one that could be misinterpreted by these people. After
all, if someone with the experience and perceptiveness of Matt can read
something iffy into Joel's message, just imagine what the Dark Side can do
with it! On the other hand, I think it's great to hear positive AND negative
feedback on the equipment we use. That's one of the cool things about this
list.It would kind of suck to have to tell only the good stories when it's
the bad ones that can be the most valuable. IMHO

The other Matt