Best inverter for water pumping [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Fri Nov 7 17:07:08 PST 2003

Lloyd/Roy and all the wrenches:

I feel this discussion is not helping to clarify the issues of what
inverter is best at surging to start water pumps - and so I am not going
to reply to the specific statements of this latest Xantrex posting.

I also (nor anyone else I know of) have any experience with the new SW
"PLUS" series of inverters - it sounds like you are making some
significant changes to this respected design which may (or may not) make
a difference when it comes to starting pumps and overall reliability -
Its hard to comment on a product that has not been available yet and
doesn't have a track record...

So - what I will be doing instead is writing up a general overview of
the issues with using inverters to start large motors such as water
pumps, as well as issues with measuring and quantifying the performance
of the inverter.  I will forward this to your engineering staff to allow
them to comment and then we can jointly (or separately) publish this
document with an announcement on this list on how to access it.

I know Michael Welch and I both don't want this list to become the
online version of the Jerry Springer show.... Hopefully, handling this
issue this way will be more effective (although maybe less
entertaining).

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com