aluminum in concrete [RE-wrenches]

Tom Simko tom at skylinesolar.com
Tue Nov 4 07:23:48 PST 2003

on 11/3/03 3:08 PM, mlafferty at universalenergies.com at
mlafferty at universalenergies.com wrote:

> Kelly K asked:
>
>> Does the same apply to copper, e.g. for solar thermal or plumbing runs
> through slabs?
>> Would wrapping with rubber splice tape be sufficient to prevent
> corrosion?
>
> All:
>
> Yes.  Copper tubing poured directly into a slab will "dissolve" in time.
> It is also against the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) to do so.  Don't ask
> me why it's OK to pour a bare copper wire into a footing for a UFER
> ground.....
>
> For the purposes you describe, I don't recommend going to the trouble
> and expense of wrapping your tubing with "splicing tape" or, more common
> to plumbing, mil-spec tape.
>
> Plumbing supply wholesalers sell a plastic sleeving material that is
> used for this purpose.  It comes in rolls, dispensed from a box.  I have
> seen soft copper rolls come with it already installed, but only a couple
> of times.
>
> The box is inexpensive, quick to install and intended for this purpose.
> It also comes in multiple colors, like blue and orange, so you can
> distinguish "your hot from your cold" after the slab is poured.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Matt Lafferty
> Universal Energies Institute
> mlafferty at universalenergies.com
> (916) 422-9772
> (916) 628-7694 Cell
> (916) 914-2247 Fax
> www.universalenergies.com
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

  I agree Matt, and am puzzled by, the discrepancy between the plumbing
trades practice/code of ALWAYS keeping concrete away from copper, and the
electrical trades/code happily putting bare copper wire in direct contact as
in the case of a UFER ground. About a year ago I brought this subject up on
the list, and was left more confused then ever as the responding
electricians on the list didn't savvy plumbing codes, and any plumbers I
mentioned it to don't savvy electrical stuff.

 As to the aluminum in concrete issue: why not do what sign companies across
the country do, use plain old schedule 40 steel pipe or angle iron directly
imbedded in concrete? This is accepted practice, simple, cheap and
effective. And it ain't going to rust out in this century, I've pulled pipe
that was direct imbedded in concrete decades ago, (by me) and it was in
great shape, and it was used pipe when first imbedded! This pipe is now
re-imbedded in its third reincarnation, as part of a 1200 watt PV array.
Other then cosmetic concerns above grade, and good paint will solve that,
I'd go with steel, used steel from the local salvage yard preferably due to
the huge cost savings.

Tom Simko
Skyline Solar

- - - -