NABCEP exam [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at wwjv.net
Sat Oct 25 18:10:22 PDT 2003

I assume those of you in the "solar" states had a better showing, but
the Maryland test site had a total of 6, and that is for Maryland,
Virginia, and the D.C. area.

As for the test, it is clear that a major amount of work and
preparation went into this test program and getting this off the
ground.  I was really surprised that the material covered was actually
about the areas you need to know to install many different systems,
and the people who made up this material clearly knew what they were
writing about.  That's really refreshing!

I was expecting only NEC questions (and believe me there were
plenty!), but there were also many questions and calculations required
concerning array mounting, structural issues, system commissioning,
worker safety, grid tied, off grid, generator based, DC only, water
pumping, site analysis, shading issues, battery issues, ground mount,
pole mount, roof mount, ground fault issues, grounding issues, and you
better know how these systems are different and why.  The practice
test provided with the preparation materials made it very clear up
front that this was not going to be easy.

My only concern is that to pass it you need serious training in many
areas not related to the NEC, yet, I think most "average" electricians
who know the NEC by heart and should learn the material will not feel
they need to obtain a certification they think is not needed.

Most that I talked too feel the liability issues, insurance companies,
and banks making home loans are already "on their side", since they
all want a "licensed" electrician doing any wiring work.   After all,
its just running wire and conduit isn't it?

If the attendance we had is any indication, we may all need to work
harder in promoting this certification program and the reasons it is
needed out there.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeff Yago

- - - -