A mystery to me..... [RE-wrenches]

penobscotsolar at midmaine.com penobscotsolar at midmaine.com
Tue Oct 21 12:39:12 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi all,
  Well, the verdict is in. Sorry, it took me a day to get a KS cell so this
six hour round trip didn't have to be repeated again.
  I took with me a 24 v, 100 watt bulb to act as a load since I didn't want
the inverter to go into involuntary shutdown any more. After taking SG
readings on each cell (1.27 + for each one) and voltage readings(again) on
each one (2.13 - 2.15) I divided the bank into 2 24 volt banks and put my
load (the bulb) on the first one.It ran fine and I checked each 2 volt cell
and got almost the same exact reading as I did without the load. OK, that
half of the bank is good.....
  I next did the same with the second bank. The bulb lit up and immediately
dimmed. The fourth battery in the string, which read 2.13 v no load read
 -.78 v. The polarity was reversed internally.
  I replaced the cell, retested the bank (the bulb didn't dim) and took
readings on the rest of the cells. They were all fine.
  After tightening all connections I fired up the system and ran some larger
loads (refrig. well pump) and all was/is well.
  After this experience this NABCEP test this weekend is looming extremely
large in front of me...............
  Thanks for all who contributed.
Daryl
Penobscot Solar Design