Well pumps and SWs [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Thu Oct 16 21:55:06 PDT 2003

Ken wrote:  The well driller said it needs the 240V all the time for the
sensor.

Hey Ken -- Perhaps a very small inverter (with high efficiency at low
power levels/idle current) powering the sensing circuit, with it pulling
in a relay connecting the pump to the inverter/transformer?

I'd say you'd have no problem with running the 3/4 horse pump off the
SW5548.  None.  Regards to pressure switches, on a pump that size, I'd
parallel (twice the current at 120vac) the 2pole contacts in a Square D
pressure switch and use it to power up the primary side of the
transformer with the secondary side wire directly to the pump.

One other thought.  Are you sure they need a 3/4 horse pump and if a 1/2
horse will work (not a real deep well and no irrigation going on), a 120
volt pump might work very well and moe efficiently.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions

2. A 3/4 HP - 3 wire motor and 7 gpm pump. Does anyone have experience
STARTING a pump like this with a SW5548?

Any other suggestions?

Ken & Chris Hulet
Engineering Services Co.
P.O. Box 4