pond aerator [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Mon Oct 6 16:09:34 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hi Windy,

First off....I always knew it would happen. Look at the date on your
e-mail....it's next week! You move so fast you're warping in time, my
friend! That's how you stay ahead of things, eh?

I agree that the smaller solar aeration applications are more
cost-effective. No question in my mind. But to take it one step further,
there's also a real need to keep the component cost down on these small
stand alone pv systems 'because' they are for such small applications.
The average residential and small farm end user can't afford expensive
solutions. I also see aeration as a great way to get rural folks started
with solar and the more affordable, the more sales.

A final note....experimenting with a Sun Delight pump w/ 64 watt module,
we've had the most luck with a floating fountain that sprays a circular
pattern app. 3' in the air. This works well with round or oval ponds of
1/4 acre or less. The air pump experiments worked well but we had a
devil of a time with proper dispersion. We have not had the time to try
some new ideas at our test site...and now winter appears to be upon us
so it'll have to wait 'til spring!

Roy Butler
Four Winds Renewable Energy, LLC
8902 Rt 46
Arkport, NY 14807
www.four-winds-energy.com

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar wrote:

> I want to add some perspective to this topic. In my view, solar
> aeration for biological purposes (adding oxygen) is appropriate for
> very small, non-commercial applications only. The reason is that the
> most oxygen is required when the sun is NOT shining. So, economics may
> be acceptable for very small remote systems, but not larger.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Information Boulevard's Virus Scanning]

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com