Request re Inspector Training [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher jfisher at nahbrc.org
Tue Sep 30 06:31:07 PDT 2003

Mo,

I think Matt did the best job yet of laying out the fundamentals. He's got
the doughnut to inspector ratio dead-on.

I'm sure you all see more fast-bucks in CA then we do over on this coast but
I've sure seen a few examples of less than minimum installations. Here's my
top ten besides the typical electrical hack issues:

1) Auxiliary ground rods not bonded to building's grounding electrodes.
2) Modules and racks not grounded (which renders the GFI protection
ineffective)
3) Romex used to connect modules (true story!) or other improper conductors.
4) Conductors and conduits not strapped on roof (out here this really
becomes an issue with snow and ice)
5) Improperly rated equipment and/or connectors, particularly for higher
voltage DC
6) Lack of adequate labeling on boxes, disconnects, etc.
7) Lacking or improper fusing of parallel module strings (tough one to
address in a quick session)

I couldn't reference the code on these but I think they illustrate
unjustified safety and reliability issues in PV installations. I expect
there will be some disagreement here:
8) Wood used as racking materials in roof-mounted arrays
9) Single conductor cables with plug connectors used on high-voltage
ground-mounted arrays accessible to general public.

And my personal favorite:
10) Using the homeowner's ladders when installing systems.

Keep up the good work!

Jason Fisher

Aurora Energy LLC
Annapolis, MD