flooded v. sealed batteries [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Sat Sep 27 09:47:32 PDT 2003

Hi Jay,

I don't have to do a lot of convincing after laying-out the costs
involved in replacing a nice big bank of L-16's. It's not just the
batteries, it's the labor, the transportation, the cables, the disposal,
the problems that always occur in the time leading-up to the battery
removal and exchange, the irritation of the client when they finally
realize they have to pay for another bank after only 6 to 7 years, (10
years is the very absolute maximum for an L-16 in my experience), in
some cases only 2 to 3 years under severe duty cycle. It's also the
improved efficiency when using 12 volt cases since the individual cells
are connected without cable ends.

If you get out that calculator again and factor-in all the peripheral
costs I bet you come up with numbers that make more sense. ;-)