short lived UPS system [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Fri Sep 26 15:25:40 PDT 2003

<x-flowed>
Hello Joel and Wrenches

This is true, but it's not ten cycles that are needed but ten days to
two weeks of time and a good charging.

It takes time for the electrolyte to permeate the plates. A good
charging during this period is a good idea and facilitates the
process.

BTW, always check the polarity of new batteries with a voltmeter. We
have received batteries that were reversed formed (the initial rapid
charge at the factory when acid is first added to the battery). On
these escapees from quality control, the polarity will not match that
stamped on the case. In such event, the battery should be returned
for full credit to its maker as it will be short lived in service.

Richard

At 17:17 -0400 09/26/2003, joeldavidson at earthlink.net wrote:
>Lead-antimony batteries leave the factory with less-than-full energy
>capacity and a surface charge or uneven mixture of sulfuric acid and water.
>After approx. 10 cycles, their chemistry is more orderly and full capacity
>can be acheived.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm