Gen Start Modules [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Sep 15 15:25:27 PDT 2003

Here is another generator start adapter I have reviewed and have a local
person who is using one (but I haven't had the chance to visit yet) from
a company in Utah:

http://www.atkinsonelectronics.com/product_pdfs/GSCM.pdf

It is similar to the ol' GenWizard - but this one has a manual that can
be read without a magnifying glass!

Looks pretty well done but is also feature loaded and is more than is
needed for most applications where there is an inverter's two wire start
signal available to do most of the signalling. This can allow redundancy
which is good for unattended sites.

You also should check with the generator supplier/manufacturer.  Many
generators are available with 2 wire start systems as an option - some
offer it but don't say anything on the literature about it as its
intended for "other" market segments models that are really the same
unit other than the stickers...

If the generator is not offered with a two wire start option there is
usually a reason - be careful as you may not want to take on the
liability for the adaption.  I often talk the customer into spending the
additional $500 on more battery or PV instead and give them a red "run
the generator soon" light instead along with some basic load management
controls and education.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com
Tel 360 435 6030  Arlington WA USA

Ethan Miller wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know of any generator starters that work well with three
> wire systems? I would like to use the Outback FX2500 to start a three
> wire generator. The Solar Converter, Inc. Universal Generator Starter
> looks like a good model but packs a few more features than I need.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ethan Miller
> REC

- - - -