short lived UPS system [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 08:03:00 PDT 2003

Thanks for the help on other topics
I have another question.  I just got a new customer
who has a UPS system consisting of two sw5548
inverters, and 800 AH of batteries.  He has only had a
few outages but he has ruined his second set of
batteries in less than three years.  The odor from the
hot dry batteries set off his smoke alarm.  In less
than two years should lead antimony batteries go dry?

I think there are two problems, the SW5548 have
overcharged and once the batteries had a problem in
one cell the others ( four parallel strings, 200 ah
per string, 48 volt) dumped there power into the bad
cell and the overcharge was rampant.  They had
Hydrocaps which also were two years old, and either
could not keep up or just wore out.

How should I solve this to make this system last
longer?

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com