solar pre heat for pools [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Mon Sep 8 14:19:59 PDT 2003

I installed 300' of 1.5" diameter black poly pipe in the 4' concrete decking
around my 44' x 18' pool (2 loops) and plumbed it directly to the output of
my pump. I also installed 3 used American Solar King collectors on my
pool shed roof and also insulated the steel walls of the pool down 4' with
2" blue board.

The pool pump is a varible speed motor drive that is controlled by a 1
watt PV panel. The pump automatically turns on with the sun and speeds
up the brighter the sun shines and therefore more flow to the tubing and
collectors w/o valves and other controls.

It works well even here in the cool northeast (Vermont). Yesterday the
pool was 78 degrees after cooling down from 85-90 F which it held all
summer. Last night it was 40 F outside. Solar covers are required to hold
in the heat at night.

Regards,

David Blittersdorf

NRG Systems, Inc.