steaming batteries [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Tue Sep 2 09:38:07 PDT 2003

Two thoughts, I agree with the bad cell diagnosis.  That is essentially what
happened with my bank of L-16s, one cell in one string would boil itself out
at an awful rate even though the voltage showed good on the battery itself.
It is what cured me of having a series/parallel (chained) battery bank.  I
think systems with fairly steady and high charge/discharge rates and
series/parallel banks would be prone to this.  So that leads to my second
though, which is to suggest that you switch him to a buss bar arrangement,
where each series string attaches to the buss bar and the inverter/charger
cable attaches to the buss bar and all the series strings are fed and
drained equally, rather than having to pass through the entire bank to get
in/out.

I've mentioned this before here and was surprised as how it was somewhat
dismissed.  But those who install large banks for a living in telco and UPS
setups never use series/parallel installations where there is one in/out
connection, whether on opposite ends of the bank or through one string.
They always use buss bars.

I think at least one cell is fried and that the system could benefit from a
buss bar retrofit...but hey, I'm a broken record on that one.

Tom Elliot

---

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm